Levulan® Photodynamic Therapy using the BLU-U® Blue Light Photodynamic Therapy Illuminator as an advanced 2-step treatment for minimally to moderately thick Grade 1 or 2 AKs (AKs that have not yet become enlarged and thick) of the face or scalp.
This therapy is unique because it uses a light activated drug therapy to destroy AKs. The 2-step process consists of treatment with Levulan Kerastick Topical Solution, 20% and the BLU-U® Blue Light Photodynamic Therapy Illuminator.
What are the benefits of Photodynamic Therapy?
- Smoother, More Even Skin Tone
- Minimal Downtime
- 94% of patients treated with Levulan PDT rated their response to treatment as good to excellent
- Complete response demonstrated in a high percentage of patients
- High clearance maintained through 12 months
How does Levulan Photodynamic Therapy work?
When Levulan Kerastick Topical Solution is applied to Grade 1 or 2 AKs, the solution is absorbed by the AK cells where it is converted to a chemical that makes the cells extremely sensitive to light. When the AK cells are exposed to the BLU-U, this light causes reactions which destroy the AK cells.
What are Actinic Keratoses?
Actinic Keratoses (AKs) are rough-textured, dry, scaly patches on the skin caused by excessive exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light, such as sunlight. They are often referred to as “sun spots” and they occur most frequently on sun exposed areas such as the face, scalp, ears, neck, hands and arms. They form on the outermost layer of skin and they can range in color from skin toned to reddish brown. They can also range in size from as small as a pinhead to larger than a quarter. More than 10 million Americans have AK lesions, with the majority occurring primarily in fair skinned individuals.
Before Treatment Starts
- Be sure to notify us if you are taking any oral medications or using any topical prescription or non-prescription products on your face or scalp.
- Download and read the pre/post treatment instructions and bring the signed form to your session.
(Please Note That Individual Results May Vary)