This notice describes how medical information about you may be used and disclosed and how you can get access to this information. Please review carefully.
In compliance with The Health Insurance Portability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) requires all health care records and other individually identifiable health information used or disclosed to us in any form, whether electronically, on paper, or orally, be kept confidential. This Notice of Privacy Practices describes how we may use and disclose your protected health information to carry out treatment, payment or health care operations and for other purposes that are permitted or required by law. It also describes your rights to access and control your protected health information. “Protected health information” is information about you, including demographic information, that may indentify you and that relates to your past, present or future physical or mental health or condition and related health care services.
We are required to abide by the terms of this Notice of Privacy Practices. We may change the terms of our notice at any time. The new notice will be effective for all protected health information that we maintain at that time. Upon your request, we will provide you with any revised Notice or Privacy Practices by calling the office and requesting that a revised copy be sent to you in the mail or asking for one at the time of your next appointment.
Without specific written authorization, we are permitted to use an disclose your health records for the purpose of treatment, payment and health care operations.
- Treatment means providing, coordinating, or managing healthcare and related services by one or more health care providers.
- Payment means such activities as obtaining reimbursement for services, billing and collection activities, and utilization review.
- Health Care Operations include the business aspect of running the practice including internal quality assurance and training.
We will not use or disclose your health information without your authorization, except as described in this notice. We may use or disclose health information to a family member, friend or other personal representative to the extent necessary to help with your healthcare or with payment for your healthcare. In addition, we may use your confidential information to remind you of appointments by sending you reminder postcards and/or leaving messages at home and/or work. Any other uses and disclosers will be made only with your written authorization. You may revoke such authorization in writing and we are required to honor and abide by that written request, except to the extent that we have already taken actions relying on your authorization.
Your Health Information Rights
Although your health record is the physical property of the healthcare practitioner or facility that complied it, the information belongs to you. You have the right to:
- request a restriction on certain uses and disclosures of your information
- obtain a paper copy of the notice of information practices upon request
- inspect and obtain a copy of your health record
- amend your health record
- obtain an accounting of disclosures of your health information
- request communications of your health information by alternative means or at alternative
- locations revoke your authorization to use or disclose health information except to the extent that action has already been taken
We will not use or disclose your health information without your authorization, except as described in this notice.
For more information about Privacy Practices, please contact:
Yann G. Lin, MD
Mill Creek Skin & Laser
15111 Main St. Suite A201
Mill Creek, WA 98012
Office for Civil Rights
U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
2201 Sixth Avenue – Mail Stop RX-11
Seattle, WA 98121